Brassall, which was originally known as Hungry Flats, was a Parish named by surveyor James Warner in 1851. One of its earliest residents was George Harris before he moved to Woodend.
In 1887 a Rifle Range was established and a red flag was hoisted to warn people they were in the line of fire if they passed between the flag and North Ipswich.
The school was erected in 1893. Brassall formed a separate shire from 1860 to 1917, when it became a suburb of Ipswich.