The Ipswich Genealogical Society is based at “Brigg House”, “Cooneana Heritage Centre” 1041 Redbank Plains Road, New Chum Ipswich. The Complex is owned and maintained by the Ipswich City Council.
For access details, visit our contact page for opening hours, contact details and location map.
The Resource Centre consists of a library with research area and computer stations, coffee and tea making facilities and table space for your comfort whilst researching.
The Resource Centre is wheelchair friendly, and parking is available on site with easy access to both the Cunningham and Warrego Highways, and the centre of Ipswich. The library is staffed by experienced, volunteer family historians who are eager to assist you with your research.
We would like to welcome you to "Brigg House"
Research conducted for non-members of the Society are charged at $30.00 for the first hour and $25.00 for each hour thereafter.
Reduced rates are available for Members of the Society - please see our membership page for more details.
Click here to download the Research Enquiry Form
Resources of the Society
The Society has an extensive lending library from which members may borrow two (2) books at a time for a period of 2 weeks.
The Society also has a reference library; these books are available only for perusal within the Research Rooms.
This section contains:
- School, Church and Family histories; various census records; Cemetery records
- Research directories; Cemetery headstones and inscriptions; Shipping and Immigration records
- Convict records; Journals and Magazines from other Societies
Micro Fiche / Film
An extensive microfilm collection is available for research within the Research Rooms. These include:
- Indices to Births, Deaths and Marriages for all Australian States
- Cemetery records
- Ipswich North Australian 1858 to 1866
- Fassifern Guardian 1901 to 1930
- Microform Gifted by Colonial Forces Study Group Queensland
The Society has an increasing number of records on the computers including:
- Indices to Births, Deaths and Marriages
- Burial Registers for the Ipswich & surrounding district Cemeteries
- Photographs of Gravestones from many Cemeteries.
- Mine Workers Muster
- Railway Workers Muster
ROBYN BUCHANNAN COLLECTION: Robyn Buchanan passed away in 2018, after a lifetime of research and publishing books on historical subjects and the Ipswich region.
Her collection of research material and photographs has been kindly donated to the the Society by her husband Bruce as was Robyn's wish.
This collection is a welcome addition to our resources and has been accepted with thanks by our members.