Ipswich Genealogical Society Inc's Resource Centre is now located at "Brigg House" at the Cooneana Heritage Centre.
For access details, visit our contact page for opening hours, contact details and location map.
The Resource Centre consists of a library with research area and computer stations, coffee and tea making facilities and table space for your comfort whilst researching.
The Resource Centre is wheelchair friendly, and parking is available on site with easy access to both the Cunningham and Warrego Highways, and the centre of Ipswich. The library is staffed by experienced, volunteer family historians who are eager to assist you with your research.
We would love you to visit us!
The Old Blackstone School 2013
Research conducted for non-members of the Society are charged at $30.00 for the first hour and $25.00 for each hour thereafter.
Reduced rates are available for Members of the Society - please see our membership page for more details.
Click here to download the Research Enquiry Form
Resources of the Society
The Society has an extensive lending library from which members may borrow two (2) books at a time for a period of 2 weeks.
The Society also has a reference library; these books are available only for perusal within the Research Rooms.
This section contains:
- School, Church and Family histories; various census records; Cemetery records
- Research directories; Cemetery headstones and inscriptions; Shipping and Immigration records
- Convict records; Journals and Magazines from other Societies
Micro Fiche / Film
An extensive microfilm collection is available for research within the Research Rooms. These include:
- The International Genealogical Index
- Indices to Births, Deaths and Marriages for all Australian States
- Cemetery records
- Ipswich North Australian 1858 to 1865
- The Queensland Times 1864 to 1874
- Fassifern Guardian 1901 to 1930
The Society has an increasing number of records on the computers including:
- Indices to Births, Deaths and Marriages
- Burial Registers for the Ipswich & surrounding district Cemeteries
- Photographs of Gravestones from many Cemeteries.
- Mine Workers Muster
- Railway Workers Muster
- Index to Deaths extracted from the Courier Mail 1990 to 2014. Over 306,500 names.
- Reeds Undertaker Records available from 1870 to 2015. An ongoing project with 20,000 plus records currently listed for Reeds and 1100 for Goodna Cemetery
- Somerset Regional Councils Cemetery Records to November 2015.
Cemeteries included are: Fernvale General Cemetery
Lowood General Cemetery
Wivenhoe Pocket General Cemetery
Esk General Cemetery
Toogoolawah General Cemetery
Moore/Linville General Cemetery