Ipswich Genealogical Society

"Brigg House" Cooneana Heritage Centre

Redbank Plains Road

New Chum

Ipswich 4304

 

Postal

The Secretary

Ipswich Genealogical Society
P.O.Box 323

Ipswich Qld 4305

Email

secretary@igs.org.au


Opening Hours 

Mon 9.30am - 2.30pm
Tues Closed
Wed   Closed
Thurs 9.30am - 2.30pm
Friday    Closed
Sat 9am - 12pm
Sun Closed

 Closed Public Holidays


 Phone "Brigg House"

07 3282 6454

Projects

MINE WORKERS MUSTER: An ongoing compilation, computer based, giving the details of mine personnel from Ipswich and district coalfields.

RAILWAY WORKERS MUSTER: An on-going compilation, computer based, giving details of railway personnel from the Ipswich District.

INDEX TO BDM NOTICES: Computer based compilations of BDM notices published in The Queensland Times, other Ipswich district papers and Brisbane newspaper The Courier Mail.

OBITUARIES: An on-going compilation of obituaries and biographies of former residents of Ipswich and districts with over 9,000 records. Fully indexed on computer.

NEWSPAPER CUTTINGS: An on-going collection of clippings taken from The Queensland Times and other Ipswich and district newspapers. Fully indexed on computer.

MARRIAGE INDEXES: An on-going project of marriages over a wide time period, of persons with Ipswich connection. This collection is growing fast with 4000 records currently available.

IN MEMORIAM NOTICES: A new project collecting “ In  Memoriam ” Notices from the Queensland Times. The notices start at current dates and are being gathered working backwards year by year. These notices often contain many more family names than the funeral notices.

CEMETERY RECORDS & HEADSTONE PHOTOS: Indexes are searchable and copies of headstone Photographs are available for $5.00 each.

 

All projects are constantly being up-dated, therefore it is important to re-check these listings from time to time.

 

Trans-Australia Airlines or TAA began in 1946; 

 sold to Qantas in 1986 when it became Australian Airlines.

Update - 14th December 2016

 

Did You Know?

The  suburb of Ebbw Vale is on the eastern side of the City of Ipswich and named by the miners who arrived in the mid 1800’s from Wales. It is said to be the smallest suburb in the city.

 

 A colliery was opened in the area in 1877 by John JONES, named Ebbw Vale, and the STAFFORD brothers William, Joseph, John and James opened the Whitwood Colliery in Ebbw Vale in 1887. A rail siding was built for the colliery in 1889 and in the early 1890s the owners  made land available for their employees to use as a football ground first known as the Whitwood ground but by 1893 as St Helens, and the name was also given to the football club. St Helens Soccer Club merged with Coalstars in 1997 to form the Ipswich Knights, but the soccer ground is still referred to by the older local residents as St Helens

 

The nearby railway station opened in 1909 and was called St Helens, but the name changed to Ebbw Vale the following year. 

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                    

 Update  18th October 2017

.

 


 

Events Calendar

November 2016
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30

 


Supported by

Ipswich City Council,  

promoting heritage in Ipswich

Images Crawler

Show support for our sponsors by clicking on their business cardsKylie Stoneman.jpgbighit.jpgbluedog.jpgcar.jpgdavidpahlke.jpgipswichhistsociety.jpgmayorandrew.jpgsaphira.jpg

Click on the business cards above to support our sponsors