Ipswich Genealogical Society

"Brigg House" Cooneana Heritage Centre

Redbank Plains Road

New Chum

Ipswich 4304

 

Postal

The Secretary

Ipswich Genealogical Society
P.O.Box 323

Ipswich Qld 4305

Email

secretary@igs.org.au


Opening Hours 

Mon 9.30am - 2.30pm
Tues Closed
Wed   Closed
Thurs 9.30am - 2.30pm
Friday    Closed
Sat 9am - 12pm
Sun Closed

 Closed Public Holidays


 Phone "Brigg House"

07 3282 6454

 

 

  

Challenge Employment & Training have begun work

with their Trainees at "Brigg House" 

 

The project to repair and renovate the two houses at Cooneana Heritage Centre, is planned to take 20 weeks.

The other house is the home of the Spinners & Weavers "Brighton House".

The Trainees are hoping to obtain their CERT 1 in Construction.

Update 13th November 2017 

 

 

 

 

 

Places of Worship: Ipswich & District Churches

An A5 book with the  history of some of the churches in the Ipswich area, a number are no longer in use or have been moved.

$5.00 + $2.50 P&P in Australia

Available for research:   Index to Deaths extracted from the Courier Mail 1990 to 2014  Over 306,500 names 

NOW AVAILABLE MINE WORKERS MUSTER.

The information has been given by the miners or their families, and may include date of birth, date of marriage and spouse, children,

work history as in where the miner worked, and in some cases there are two or three generations of the same family.

The Society is able to supply details of miner’s who are on record at a cost of $5.00 per name.

  

 INDEX TO IPSWICH CEMETERY BURIAL REGISTER 1 CD - OVER 36,000 RECORDS $20.00 + $6.00 P&P

                       Kind permission Ipswich City Council                       

 

 

Update 21st September 2017

 

 

 

 

Did You Know?

The  suburb of Ebbw Vale is on the eastern side of the City of Ipswich and named by the miners who arrived in the mid 1800’s from Wales. It is said to be the smallest suburb in the city.

 

 A colliery was opened in the area in 1877 by John JONES, named Ebbw Vale, and the STAFFORD brothers William, Joseph, John and James opened the Whitwood Colliery in Ebbw Vale in 1887. A rail siding was built for the colliery in 1889 and in the early 1890s the owners  made land available for their employees to use as a football ground first known as the Whitwood ground but by 1893 as St Helens, and the name was also given to the football club. St Helens Soccer Club merged with Coalstars in 1997 to form the Ipswich Knights, but the soccer ground is still referred to by the older local residents as St Helens

 

The nearby railway station opened in 1909 and was called St Helens, but the name changed to Ebbw Vale the following year. 

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                    

 Update  18th October 2017

.

 


 

Events Calendar

October 2017
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31

 


Supported by

Ipswich City Council,  

promoting heritage in Ipswich

Images Crawler

Show support for our sponsors by clicking on their business cardsKylie Stoneman.jpgbighit.jpgbluedog.jpgcar.jpgdavidpahlke.jpgipswichhistsociety.jpgmayorandrew.jpgsaphira.jpg

Click on the business cards above to support our sponsors