Ipswich Genealogical Society

"Brigg House" Cooneana Heritage Centre

Redbank Plains Road

New Chum

Ipswich 4304

 

Postal

The Secretary

Ipswich Genealogical Society
P.O.Box 323

Ipswich Qld 4305

Email

secretary@igs.org.au


Opening Hours 

Mon 9.30am - 2.30pm
Tues Closed
Wed   Closed
Thurs 9.30am - 2.30pm
Friday    Closed
Sat 9am - 12pm
Sun Closed

 Closed Public Holidays


 Phone "Brigg House"

07 3282 6454

 About Us


The Ipswich Genealogical Society Inc. was the first genealogical society in Queensland when it first formed in 1977. Our role is to assist and support people researching their family history.

              The Society’s administrative responsibilities and ever-expanding resource base are managed by a dedicated and friendly group of volunteers and voluntary committee members.

              The Society has an extensive range of resources and a library catering to all needs and specialising in Ipswich and the surrounding areas. 

              The Society publishes a triannual magazine, the “Bremer Echoes”, and distributes it free of charge to members, supporters and other societies nationally and internationally. 

              Our patron is Councillor Kylie Stoneman Division 4 Representative on the Ipswich City Council.

 

 

Ipswich State High School Boys at the Hockey Grounds East Ipswich 1956

John Coleman, John Gordon, Ted Evans, Joe Milinkovic, Lance Petie, Peter Curtis, Phillip Sutherland, ....?....

Brian Day,  ...?... Keith Greasley, .....?...; ....?....  

Please contact the Society if you are able to identify the unknown boys or if the names as given are incorrect.

 

 

 

 

Please note: There is no EFTPOS available at Brigg House

 

Update 22nd October 2017

 

 

 

 

 

Did You Know?

The  suburb of Ebbw Vale is on the eastern side of the City of Ipswich and named by the miners who arrived in the mid 1800’s from Wales. It is said to be the smallest suburb in the city.

 

 A colliery was opened in the area in 1877 by John JONES, named Ebbw Vale, and the STAFFORD brothers William, Joseph, John and James opened the Whitwood Colliery in Ebbw Vale in 1887. A rail siding was built for the colliery in 1889 and in the early 1890s the owners  made land available for their employees to use as a football ground first known as the Whitwood ground but by 1893 as St Helens, and the name was also given to the football club. St Helens Soccer Club merged with Coalstars in 1997 to form the Ipswich Knights, but the soccer ground is still referred to by the older local residents as St Helens

 

The nearby railway station opened in 1909 and was called St Helens, but the name changed to Ebbw Vale the following year. 

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                    

 Update  18th October 2017

.

 


 

Events Calendar

November 2016
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30

 


Supported by

Ipswich City Council,  

promoting heritage in Ipswich

Images Crawler

Show support for our sponsors by clicking on their business cardsKylie Stoneman.jpgbighit.jpgbluedog.jpgcar.jpgdavidpahlke.jpgipswichhistsociety.jpgmayorandrew.jpgsaphira.jpg

Click on the business cards above to support our sponsors