Ipswich applied on 22 November 1904 to become a City; the status being conferred by the Government of Queensland on 1 December 1904 and its first mayor was Hugh Reilly. On its declaration, the City of Ipswich covered only the central area of Ipswich itself – even what are today considered inner suburbs were parts of different entities.
On 13 October 1916, a rationalization of the local government areas in and around Ipswich was implemented. It involved the abolition of five shires: Brassall, Bundanba, Lowood, Purga, Walloon
This made a larger City of Ipswich, by including part of the Shire of Brassall and part of the Shire of Bundanba. A new Shire of Ipswich by amalgamating part of the Shire of Brassall, part of the Shire of Bundanba, part of the Shire of Walloon and all of the Shire of Purga. An enlarged Shire of Rosewood by including part of the Shire of Walloon. An enlarged Shire of Esk by including all of the Shire of Lowood.
(Bundanba now Bundamba)